What are STIs?
STIs refer to sexually transmitted infections that are acquired through sexual contact. They are also known as Reproductive tract infections or venereal diseases. AIDS, Gonorrhea, syphilis, genital herpes and warts, chlamydiosis, and hepatitis-B are some commonly known STDs. Bacteria or virus that causes STIs can be transferred from person to person hence, it is an infectious disease.
Transmission of STIs
STIs are usually transmitted by sexual contact that includes vaginal, anal, or oral sex. However, some STIs can spread by non-sexual methods, i.e, by blood and blood products, or by reusing the needle of injections. Organisms that are carriers of the diseases may pass disease from one person to another in blood, semen, vaginal, and other bodily fluids. Sometimes these infections can pass from mother to infant during pregnancy or childbirth. In addition, infections or diseases may be passed on during unprotected sex with an infected partner.
Symptoms of STIs
In most cases, symptoms are not visible earlier but symptoms vary as the disease progresses. Here are some common symptoms-
- Unusual Vaginal bleeding
- Pain during sex.
- Lower abdominal pain
- Rashes over the hands or feet.
- The smell in vaginal discharge
- Discharge from the penis.
- Painful or burning urination
- Sores or bumps may appear on the genital, or oral area.
Diagnosis of STIs
24/7 labs provide you with approximately 10 tests for STIs.
- Basic Kit: Chlamydia &Gonorrhea At-Home Test – $ 59.00
- Gonorrhoea- It is a sexual infection caused by a bacterium called Neisseria Gonorrhoeae, that infects male and female both. It mostly affects the urethra, rectum, or throat. Testing involves urine samples. -$80.00 – $89.00
- a/b HIV-It destroys the vital cells that fight against disease and infections and hence weakens the immune system. Getting tested can help you to get assurance. Testing may involve either the blood, urine, or oral fluid. – $50.00 – $60.00
- Chlamydia- It is a common sexual disease that is caused by the bacterium Chlamydia Trachomatis. This disease is mostly asymptomatic but has a higher risk of passing the disease to another person. Testing involves a simple urine test and is painless in both men and women. – $80.00 – $89.00
- Comprehensive sexual health panel- This panel tests for the nine most common sexually transmitted diseases:
- Herpes 1
- Herpes II
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
$228.00 – $318.00
- Hepatitis B surface antigen- Hepatitis B virus (HBV) causes hepatitis, a contagious liver infection. Its testing involves the collection of blood samples. – $49.00 – $50.00
- Herpes- Herpes simplex virus (HSV) types 1 and 2 cause STI herpes. It leads to genital pain and sores. The most common test used to diagnose the disease is the PCR blood test and it is very accurate. HSV 1 is an oral STI whereas HSV 2 is a genital STI. – $79.00 – $89.00
- Sexual Health panels- $139.00 – $219.00
- Syphilis- Treponema pallidum causes syphilis that can lead to long-term complications if left untreated. Testing involves the collection of a blood sample. – $42.00 – $49.00
- Trichomonas- Trichomonas vaginalis, a parasite causes trichomoniasis. Women get more affected than men. Testing involves a urine sample. – $159.00 – $169.00.
Many effective treatments are currently available:-
- Three bacterial STIs (chlamydia, gonorrhoea, and syphilis) and one parasitic STI (trichomoniasis) can be easily cured by effective single-dose regimens of antibiotics.
- The most effective medications available for herpes and HIV, are antivirals that can modulate the course of the disease but cannot cure the disease.
- Antiviral medications can help to fight the virus of Hepatitis B and slow damage to the liver.
Various bacteria, viruses, and parasites cause venereal diseases. Untreated sexual infections may lead to dangerous health problems. Most STDs are asymptomatic. So, it is good to have tests regularly if you are sexually active. So, to prevent the infection, everyone should know about the proper use of condoms, and not keeping monogamous relationships. If you feel any symptoms of the genitals infections, you must get tested. All STIs are not deadly such as Gonorrhoea, Syphilis, Trichomoniasis, and Chlamydia can be cured by antibiotics. However, HPV, Herpes, and HIV cannot be cured fully. Also, you should not be shy of consulting your doctor if you are sexually active. In addition, you should visit your doctor regularly regardless of your age if you are sexually active.